Level 2 a Taking the Reins – Intermediate camps all ages (Green)
Having developed a strong foundation, you are refining your communication skills and beginning to control your energy with a horse.
This group of skills will take multiple weeks of camp (previous or continued riding lessons) to master.
Specific Skills include but not limited to:
- Establish a solid foundation in the next 4 games horses play
- Perform independent Safety checks, mounting correctly, correct your stirrup length, adjusting stirrups for a natural balanced seat
- Dismount and prepare to lead
- Tack check on both sides, maintain properly tightened girths – in multiple steps as needed
- Ride with balance at a walk/trot: sitting trot, half seat/standing, posting
- Demonstrate good level 2 control and partnership: you will work toward riding at least twice around the arena at a trot without breaking gait, stop naturally- without roughness to the horse, maintaining the proper distance when riding in a group, Riding at a trot without breaking gait in simple reverses, circles, dressage or western patterns
- Ask your horse to lope or canter and working toward riding at least once around the arena with good level 2 balance and control
- Post on the correct diagonal both directions of the arena(english and western)
- Show how to cool a hot horse, proper tie and quick release knot, understand how to clean a stall, stable and do stable chores
- Verbalize parts, colors and markings of the horse
- Trail riding requirements: 5 safety rules for trail riding, Recognizing and navigating hazards, Safe distances on trails, Simple obstacles, Safety Up and down hills
- Jumping (Is NOT required for any level. However riders may begin simple jumping exercises over low poles at this level, 2 point, ground poles)